15 places to shop local and support small business in Orange
While Orange continues to be in lockdown, it’s more important than ever to support small, locally owned businesses. We are spoilt for choice when it comes to fresh local produce and quality shopping. Sign up to receive our seasonal newsletter which provides an insight into Orange’s emerging food and wine scene.
Supermarkets in Orange
- IGA – We have two IGA supermarkets and they both stock our local cheese; Second Mouse Cheese Co. They also stock Fresh Fodder Dips which are produced right here in Orange.
- The Grocer and Co – organic grocer Avoid the crowds and stock up on local, organic produce from this quaint shop in McNamara Lane. They stock a wide range of organic produce as well as cookbooks, beauty and cleaning products.
- Cured sell amazing meat and pate – don’t miss the truffle salami and fennel salami. It’s a small shop located in the Orange arcade (near Harris Farm Markets).
- The Essential Ingredient is family owned and stocks a range of hard-to-find and boutique grocery items, as well as all of your kitchen needs. Some of our favourite local produce available includes Burton’s Lane curry paste and Murrungundy pistachios.
Orange Farmers Markets
The Farmers Markets are on the second Saturday of each month, usually on the grass behind the libabry/art gallery. In Winter, they move to the showgrounds. It’s a great chance to meet and purchase directly from local farmers, orchardists, wine makers and bakers.
Convenience is king so here’s a few suggestions for a great take-away meal.
- Mr Lims (Korean/Chinese) – the best Peking duck pancakes outside Beijing. Big call, I know!
- Raku – (Japanese) – always delicious
- Charred – Charred have a marketplace (during lockdown) and you can pick-up wine, cocktails, sweet treats, and meals. Thursday, Friday and Saturday, Midday until 5pm
- Pickle & Fig – release meals on Instagram/Facebook daily.
- Zona – best pizza in town – try the roast pork. Yum!
Satisfy your sweet tooth
It’s no secret that I have a sweet tooth so let me share my favourite places in Orange for a sugar hit. Warning; highly addictive content!
- Cakes by Drew – A M A Z I N G (I will be taste testing this box on the weekend to celebrate my birthday). Drew makes wedding cakes, cupcakes and amazing slices and sweet treats.
- Sweet Treat Connections – Kerry makes the most amazing high tea treats. Visit her Facebook page for more information. She delivers within Orange most weekends.
- The Sugar Mill – sausage rolls, pies, bread, lemon meringue pies and lots of other sweet treats. They are open 7 days a week and take orders for special occasions.
- Racine – French patisserie and great sour dough bread. The shop is in the Woolworths car park and can be a litel tricky to fins so ask a local! Closed on Sundays.
- Spilt Milk – delicious gelato made locally and best of all, they home deliver! That’s right, you don’t even have to leave the house to indulge in this ultimate sweet treat.
We love to support local business. Book a tour with Country Food Trails and you’ll learn more about our fabulous food and wine scene in Orange.